Tuesday 13 October 2015

Exploring Beijing: Part II

With training camp completed, we were given a few days in Beijing to do some sightseeing before departing to our respective cities as fully fledged English teachers. We were all packed up, ready to leave the mountains by 9am and arrived at the hotel complex of Beijing’s Capital Normal University later that morning. We didn’t want to waste any time in Beijing so a group of us decided to take a trip to Beijing Zoo.


We braved navigating the Beijing subway – not unlike the London Tube network - and found the Zoo with little difficulty. It was a pretty warm day, but fun to see all the animals. Of course, we bee lined for the Pandas (when in China and all that) and became well acquainted with the monkeys, bears and elephants. I’d decided to truly embrace the zoo experience and be incredibly Asian by buying some giraffe ears. This has since earnt me the nickname ‘Super Asian’. For anyone who knows me well, this nickname is for all intents and purposes highly ironic.

(Photo credit to Daisy and Charlotte)
We’d purchased combo tickets which gave us entry to the panda enclosure and a boat ride up a river. There was also a speedboat ride you could go on for about 25RMB (£2.50), which I decided to skip because we were already due a boat ride. But this was the wrong decision to make. It was –the worst- boat ride I’d ever been on. Packed onto a little boat like sardines, the heat was intense. There was nothing to see along the route, no soothing sea breeze to cool us down from the hot weather. Things got sweaty. Throughout the whole journey, I couldn’t think of anything but how much I wanted to get off. For some in the group, it was technically the first boat ride they’d ever been on and I couldn’t help but feel terribly sorry for them having to endure what we did as a first time experience. Onwards though! I guess it was a good job I had my giraffe ears to lighten my mood.



That night, we also decided to skip the buffet dinner food provided by our accommodation. By this point, we had buffet style food coming out of our ears so decided to venture to a local food street for a more authentic feeling Chinese dinner. Unlike western eating traditions, Chinese people order or make several dishes which everyone around the table share amongst themselves. So if you’re a ‘JOEY DOESN’T SHARE FOOD’ type of person, China may not be for you.  

The pictures on the menu helped, but with my limited Chinese, I was able to decipher what type of meat each dish contained and order everyone a bowl of rice (Dad, I know you must be proud). We’d actually ended up with a pretty decent range of food and fell in love with a spicy stir fried asparagus dish. Full stomachs all round, we were pretty pleased with ourselves for being able to successfully order our first Chinese meal! 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Miss Annie Ly. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig